Old May 18th 13, 09:05 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Brian Thorn[_2_]

Default NASA gets two military spy telescopes for astronomy - The Washington Post.

On Sat, 18 May 2013 10:20:03 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

Geez i suggested sending one of these to mars and was laughed
at........

You sometimes have a nugget of a good idea, Bob. But you usually jump
off the cliff with lots of nonsense to justify it.

Regardless, I doubt MOST will ever happen. It would be like sending a
KH-11 or Hubble to Mars and would make MRO (a pretty big orbiter) look
tiny. What kind of rocket are we going to send this to Mars on, SLS?
How are we going to get back that much bandwidth of KH-11/Hubble class
images from Mars?

And wait until Henry Spencer and the CSA hear that NASA is trying to
steal the "MOST" name...

A more basic Earth-orbiting telescope is a far better use for this
hardware.

Brian