Old July 1st 07, 07:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
mitch

Default Venus and Saturn?

"laura halliday" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 1, 9:19 am, "mitch" wrote:
The sky map I looked at is all wrong.
Saturn at about 05:30 UTC was easily 2 or 3 degrees
away from Venus as they were setting. The sky map shows them to be a lot
closer..what gives?http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Yoursky

They were both in a medium-power telescope field
last night (0500 UTC 1 July), and will be closer tonight.
Venus was a fat crescent, and Saturn was a little
yellow ball with a washer around it. The two planets
were almost vertical.

Maybe something is wrong with your observing?

Nope..I observed at 40 - 150 X's in daylight mid and late afternoon in
Calgary
and was puzzled I didn't see Saturn till late evening and quite separated.