Old January 13th 05, 08:09 AM

Mike Maxwell wrote:
An article at http://www.ljworld.com/section/kunews/story/192798

talks
about a prototype telescope whose mirror is made of composites. The

16"
telescope (unclear exactly what they're talking about, but it appears

include the mirror, some kind of mirror mount, and the truss tube,

all
in what I take to be a Cassegrain configuration) weighs 20 pounds.

It
was built by Kansas University, San Diego State University, Dartmouth

College, and Composite Mirror Applications in Tucson.

Apparently it's a prototype for larger telescopes--the next one will

be
a one meter mirror. But if someone started making this sort of
telescope for amateurs... Of course, I suppose the cost of materials

would outweight (sorry for the pun) any savings from the construction

method.

the theory is quite sound. I have seen a few of their interferograms.
the process needs some work but it is getting there. In theory 1/10
wave optics could be produced on GSO/synta scales. the cost of
materials would be considerably less than pyrex. even if the materials
and labour were to cost more you would still be able to justify the
expense of a lighter telescope. for one it is more convenient and
portable. for another you will save thousands of dollars on a mount. A
G11 will hold that tube as solid as a paramount will hold a glass 16".
in other words, even if the OTA costs $9000 more it will be offset by
the mount savings.
Ian Anderson
www.customopticalsystems.com