Old January 22nd 15, 06:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Early next week, a large asteroid...

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 20:30:08 -0500, Lord Vath
wrote:

Would that be an asteroid or a meteoroid? If it's not in the asteroid
belt, how is it an asteroid?

I'm currently on the committee reviewing and revising the meteor
terminology for presentation to IAU Committee 22. We are currently
operating under definitions adopted in 1961. "Asteroid" is not
formally defined, but "meteoroid" is, as "a solid object moving in
interplanetary space, of a size considerably smaller than an asteroid
and considerably larger than an atom or molecule". In practice,
"asteroid" is generally used for objects larger than about 10m, and
"meteoroid" is generally used for smaller objects. But that does not
reflect any sort of official terminology and the terminology may vary
with context.

We are discussing new definitions that reflect origin and evolution,
rather than size. The matter remains unsettled. Currently, origin is
not considered in the nomenclature.

As a meteoriticist, I would be very surprised to see 2004 BL86
referred to as anything other than an asteroid, particularly as it has
an asteroid designation. There is no designation system for meteoroids
(which is another area of discussion, as we expect in the future more
bodies like 2008 TC3, which are optically detected in space as
asteroids but become meteoroids in the Earth's atmosphere and which
produce meteorites).