Old July 9th 07, 02:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

Default Answers to quiz + ASAT capability & the future of space itself

Ian Parker wrote:

:
:As promised the answers to my Quiz
:

Didn't need 'em. I already gave the answers.

:
:What are dominant and recessive characteristics?
:In any scheme of sexual reproduction genes occur in pairs. A dominant
:characteristic requires only one gene to be present whereas a both
:genes have to be present for a recessive characterisic.
:

Overly simplistic. Many characteristics are determined by more than
two genes. The more of the genes you have, the more of the
characteristic you have.

Hint for my answer - my eyes are blue and my hair is dark brown.

:
:What experiments did Mendel perform and how do they illustrate this.
:Mendel was a monk and he performed experiments on peas in the
:Monastery garden. He cross fertilised them and looked for
:characteristics such as colour and crinkly leaves.
:

Hint for my answer - I spelled 'pea' in "Don't pea yourself" the way I
did on purpose.

:
:How are proteins made? How would I use yeast (say) to make a
articular protein?
:Proteins are strings of amino acids. They are normally made from genes
and enzymes). Enzymes are biological catalysts which are made from a
:gene. Hence a gene is associated with a particular enzyme.
:

Incomplete. A gene is associated with a particular polypeptide. A
polypetide may or may not encode an enzyme. Proteins are made of one
or more polypeptides.

You don't appear to understand this very well.

:
:What are T cells?
:These are white blood cells that do not have any immunological
:activity themselves but act on and optimize other cells.
:

Your question was incomplete, as is your answer. There are multiple
types of T cell. They do other things than "act on and optimize other
cells". Some of them (like cytotoxic T cells) do have immunological
activity of their own against viruses.

:
:How do white blood cells (leukocytes ) operate?
:They bind onto infective agents. As we shall see in a vaccine we only
:need to bind to one site on the infective agent.
:

I liked my answer better. It's also just as good as the VERY
incomplete answer you provide above.

:
:What would you understand by a cell fragment. How might it be made by
:genetic engineering?
:A cell fragment is simply a piece of a cell.
:

Just what I said.

:
:I will not take lectures from people who are totally unqualified lying
:down.
:

Then, given your inadequate answers to your own quiz, you should
probably just shut up.

:
:I tumbled to this when looking at the energy momentum balance of
:ion propulsion. I will repeat. There can be no siege colonies without
:a Von Neumann machine.
:

Hogwash.

:
:ASAT and ABM systems
:
:The US has just torn up the ABM treaty. Claim is that protection is
:needed from the missile systems of rogue states. Reality is somewhat
:different. Poland borders on Russia. It does not border on Iran. It is
:hard to see how a radar station in Poland could possibly be relevant
:to Iran. Iranian missiles would not go anywhere near.
:

Simply wrong. Get a map and draw some Great Circle routes between
Iran and the US East Coast.

:
:The offer of
:President Putin for a station in Azerbaijan, which really does border
n Iran was turned down.
:

Because it's too close to the launch site.

:
:http://www.space4peace.org/asat/asat.htm
:ABM systems are also ASAT systems ...
:

Not necessarily.

:
:... and the most popular is a laser
:mounted on a 747.
:

The "most popular"? With who?

:
:The claim that only an Iranian (or other rogue
:state) attack is planned is just rubbish.
:

Your opinions are, so far, "just rubbish".

:
:A laser system is
otentially capable of multiple kills. Technological advances in the
:future will greatly expand capability.
:

Nobody is putting a laser system in place.

[Remaining silly gibbering elided]

--
"False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the
soul with evil."