Old October 12th 05, 08:24 PM
Jerry Dennis

Sure, the Florida quarter came out in 2004 and it might have been in
the late part of the year, but you can be sure the die for it was cast
sometime in 2003, before the tragic disintegration of Columbia over
Texas...and Arizona...and California......

If the die had of had Columbia on it instead of Discovery, do my
friends in these groups think the quarter would have been recalled?

I don't see anything on the Florida quarter that identifies
which orbiter is pictured. True, the caption is "Gateway to
Discovery", but I interpret that as the common noun, not the
proper noun. Florida is not the gateway to any particular
orbiter.

Anyway, did they recall the NH quarter when the Man in the
Mountain fell down? How about the Connecticut quarter when
the Charter Oak fell? Or the Illinois quarter when Lincoln
was assasinated?

--Rich

Or any of the other "Urban Legends" related to the SQs:

DE - Paul revere spelled "Caesar Rodney."
NJ - The only legal two headed quarter (GW on obv and rev).
GA - The peach looks like a derriere when viewed upside down.
MA - Anti-gun lobby against Minuteman with flintlock.
VA - Shouldn't have Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria on US coins.
NC - Should read "First IN Flight."
TN - 5-string guitar and left handed trumpet.
OH - John Glenn is astronaut and living people not allowed on coins.

You can easily make up a few for the others.

Jerry