Old March 22nd 17, 05:05 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default First Viable Business on Luna

Alain Fournier wrote:

On Mar/21/2017 at 5:51 PM, Fred J. McCall wrote :
Allen Meece wrote:

A Public remotely operated lunarover would make a lotttt of money and be cheap to start.

How's that work again?

There are teleoperated webcams on earth so it's not rocket science.

Actually it is 'rocket science'. That whole 'remote vehicle on the
Moon' thing, you know.

Imagine moving a rover on luna from your home computer. Wouldn't you pay at least 20 bucks a minute for that thrill?

No. Why would I and how are you going to recover development and
boost costs? What happens when some ****** wrecks it trying to jump a
crater?

Do the math. Suppose you could book this thing solid for a year.
You'd get back half a million dollars, which won't even cover the
operating costs.

I mostly agree with you on this. But I think you forgot the 20$/minutes
part here. A year is about half a million minutes. Booked solid for a
year gives a little over 10 M$.

Arithmetic in public. Still not enough to recover operating costs.

--
"Well, I met a girl in West Hollywood. I ain't naming names.
She really worked me over good. She was just like Jesse James.