Old October 5th 06, 02:33 AM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history,soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if
bombardmentforce

Default nuclear space engine - would it work ??

Robert Kolker wrote:
bombardmentforce wrote:

The doesn't do much for a growing population, and is no way for us to
get rich..

True. Recycling buys some time but the moment of truth comes. Either the
population stops growing or we mine metal from the oceans.

The oceans are lousy ore.

We do not
have to go to the asteroid belt. There is also substitution of
non-metalic substances for metal. Right now we are getting very strong
material using carbon fibres. Lots of carbon, yes?

I think the soundest approach is population limitation. That way, if our
space efforts

Our current space efforts are scheduled to produce _nothing_ profitable
and tangible.

fail to produce what is needed, we can still survive a
long time on this planet.

The dinosaurs had no asteroid survival plans, our only plan is to plan
to plan on warning.

Any time we get is a gift from an overidulgent creator who blessed our
more fit ancestors with

"Be friutful and multiply."