Old January 12th 05, 11:54 PM
jerry

Like all things important, we will do it when we are forced to, or
not at all. Man is a superficially rational animal.
jerry

"Fred J. McCall" wrote:

(Henry Spencer) wrote:

:In article ,
:Gene DiGennaro wrote:
:...If only the general public better understood Apollo's accomplishments...
:
:Wouldn't really make a lot of difference. The general public already
:thinks spaceflight is neat; they just don't think it's worth a whole lot
f money. This is fundamental, and will not change.
:
:Turning the general populace into space enthusiasts *will not happen*, and
lans which assume that it will are pointless fantasies. The only way to
:get to (say) Mars is to lower the cost to the point that overwhelming
ublic enthusiasm is not required.

Which essentially says that it will never happen, Henry, since you
have to start going there before there is an incentive to lower the
cost of going there.

It is, after all, always cheaper to not go than to go.

Personally, I hope you're wrong.

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
-- Charles Pinckney