Old May 7th 18, 07:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Full moon at the South Pole

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 3:43:33 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

Nothing you just wrote has anything to do with observing the phases of the
moon.
Which can be done more easily from your garden than the South Pole.

In about two weeks the South Pole will exist at roughly this distance from the circle of illumination -

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/...mericas250.jpg

As the moon will be roughly on the opposite side of the planet it will be out of sight to observers at the South pole -

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/...mericas250.jpg

After two decades on this newsgroup I don't mind posting original astronomical material in a forum that is top heavy with empirical theorists as I do it with the same inspirational experience that encompasses all creation from the smallest to the largest. It is a mutual kiss between an individual life and the greater life of the planet and celestial arena and is there for people who are not intellectually self-absorbed.