Old October 4th 06, 11:33 PM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history,soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if
Jonathan Silverlight[_1_]

Default nuclear space engine - would it work ??

In message , Danny Dot
writes

As a retired engineer, I don't see how nuclear explosions could be used for
launches. The blast would tend to distroy the vehicle and anyone inside of
the vehicle.

On orbit, a nuclear explosion may not even provide a impulse via blast.
Without an atmosphere, I don't think there would be an impulse of
force. Huge amount of heat in the form of radiation, but no blast
overpressure.

Possibly, but it's my understanding - backed up by
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_%28nuclear_propulsion%29,
for instance - that the blast wouldn't even seriously damage the pusher
plate, and the acceleration on a crewed craft would be only a few G.
And you can always add reaction mass to the bombs.