Gerald Kelleher
external usenet poster

Default What the direct/retrograde motion of Venus looks like

On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 12:47:07 AM UTC, palsing wrote:
On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 4:29:11 PM UTC-8, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 11:36:52 PM UTC, palsing wrote:
On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 9:59:27 AM UTC-8, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
http://www.popastro.com/images/plane...ary%202012.jpg

Just where does one need to be standing to see this particular view?

The same place you see the motions of Jupiter's satellites as they run their circuits around their parent planet -

No, you misunderstand my question; where does one stand to see Venus appear to have the same diameter as the Sun. There is certainly nowhere on Earth that you can stand to see this.

Notwithstanding that the same question you asked previously was where the observer was standing when he took the picture 'below' the Sun, indicating you were not familiar with the transit from left to right of the Sun or from evening to morning appearance or visa versa.

"But the telescope plainly shows us its horns to be as bounded and distinct as those of the moon, and they are seen to belong to a very large circle, in a ratio almost forty times as great as the same disc when it is beyond the sun, toward the end of its morning appearances.

SAGR. Oh Nicholas Copernicus, what a pleasure it would have been for you to see this part of your system confirmed by so clear an experiment!

SALV. Yes, but how much less would his sublime intellect be celebrated among the learned! For as I said before, we may see that with reason as his guide he resolutely continued to affirm what sensible experience seemed to contradict. I cannot get over my amazement that he was constantly willing to persist in saying that Venus might go around the sun and be more than six times as far from us at one time than at other times as at another, and still look always equal, when it should have appeared forty times larger." Galileo

The direct/retrograde loops of Venus and Mercury eluded the original Sun centered astronomers like Galileo because they didn't make the distinction between the faster moving and slower moving planets seen from a moving Earth and what our motion brings to the observation. There is no illusion in the loops of Venus and Mercury due to the orbital motion of the Earth but as the original heliocentric astronomers were bound to antecedent geocentric observations they couldn't adapt to the partitioning you and everyone else sees now.

Doesn't say much about you or the rest but then again when did something inspiring ever touch your souls.