Old March 14th 10, 10:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 3448 (Arp 205)

I used two nights (March 4 and 6) for this image of NGC 3448 (Arp 205). The
first night had some moonlight and only mediocre transparency, but good
seeing. The second night had mediocre seeing but very good transparency,
giving me a record background brightness of 19.0 magnitudes measured with
SQM-L. A "normal" good night does have 18.7 mags around here. The difference
of 0,3 mags does not appear to be a lot, but it meant a reduction of
background brightness with this setup from about 8400 ADU to 6300 ADU.

When I took this image I did not know that there is another galaxy (UGC
6016) to the right of NGC 3448 as this galaxy is not shown in Guide 8. I
thought it was part of the tidal tail of NGC3448.

When I searched for pictures of this object one of the few I found was made
by Rick J. who's picture was deeper (of course).

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a 10" Meade ACF scope at f/7.2 (AP
reducer) on a G11 mount, SXV-H9 camera, 50x5 minutes for L, 12x5 for R and G
plus 18x5 for B, colours with 2x2 binning.

http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp3/3448colourgut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version