Old February 23rd 17, 09:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

Default Planet near Proxima Centauri (Travel time)

On 22/02/2017 18:41, StarDust wrote:
On Saturday, December 31, 2016 at 1:48:33 AM UTC-8, RichA wrote:
Earth-like? I'd believe it when they get there. Here's the travel
time:

-Current rocket technology (if a large enough one could be built):
120,000mph. 25,000 years to get there.

-Project Orion 10,000 ton class ship: 80% speed of light peak
speed. 14 years.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2016...d-orig-nws.cnn

Slight problem of how many nukes and blast plates it would take.

We can't even get humans to Mars, never mined to another solar
system. We found out, there is no other life in our solar system, not
even a lousy bacteria, so now it's a new flight of imagination ,
maybe some thing exist in another solar system.

We don't yet know that there is no other life in our own solar system.

Extremophiles inhabit some pretty impossible places on Earth so there is
still a chance to find life on Mars - its atmosphere has traces of CH4
which are out of equilibrium and the larger moons of Jupiter and Saturn
with deep water under thick ice may yet prove to be interesting.

Naica caves crystal inclusions demonstrate clearly how exotic and robust
some life can be.

The trick will be to look for life on other solar system bodies without
contaminating them with terrestrial DNA.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown