Old April 22nd 05, 11:11 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:24:14 +0000 (UTC), (Brian Tung)
wrote:

A star is commonly considered to be a fusor, isn't it? After the
supernova, it ceases to be a fusor. As a star, it dies. It's just
a lump of warm whatever after that, slowly cooling--just like a dead
human being.

Not an unreasonable definition of stellar death.

I thought a Type Ia supernova commonly resulted in the complete
detonation of the progenitor star--I thought it was the Type II
supernovae that leaves a black hole, or neutron star, or whatever.
The Type Ia's partner might leave around some stuff, but I wouldn't
consider that to be part of the original star.

I thought all supernovas leave one or two compact objects behind, but a
little research seems to suggest that type Ia events probably result in
the complete dispersal of the progenitor neutron star. I guess that
qualifies as "death" just about any way you look at it!

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com