Old April 22nd 05, 10:24 PM
Brian Tung

Chris L Peterson wrote:
Well, yes, but then a star was never alive in the first place, so this
does very much depend on how "death" is used. Even in the case of a type
1a supernova, you are left with an active object in the same location as
the original pair of objects, and containing lots of the original
material. Death? I don't know. Anyway, it really just word games we are
playing here.

A star is commonly considered to be a fusor, isn't it? After the
supernova, it ceases to be a fusor. As a star, it dies. It's just
a lump of warm whatever after that, slowly cooling--just like a dead
human being.

I thought a Type Ia supernova commonly resulted in the complete
detonation of the progenitor star--I thought it was the Type II
supernovae that leaves a black hole, or neutron star, or whatever.
The Type Ia's partner might leave around some stuff, but I wouldn't
consider that to be part of the original star.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt