Old April 20th 16, 08:38 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Nothing but clouds here so missed this event. Though as you say doing comets with a mono camera is a processing nightmare. I hate doing it. Takes something special or I leave it Luminance only. I don't have a good scope for a field like this. I keep thinking of getting something but I have so many on the to-do list for this one it just doesn't happen.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Lilge View Post
I finally managed to get my usenet account going again after my girlfriend
had destroyed my Windows installation (well, that's my theory ;-)

In the days around April 7 comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko of Rosetta/Philae
fame crossed through the Leo Trio. The comet was quite faint at that time,
not a good target for city skies. I used my new ASI 174MC cool camera
because imaging comets in colour with a b/w camera is a bit of a hassle. I
have sold the ASI today btw. as I have ordered an ASI 1600 for use with my
RASA scope.
A satellite gives another layer of distance together with the comet and the
galaxies.

Taken from Berlin with a Celestron RASA on an AZ-EQ6 mount, ASI 174 MC cool
camera, 126x1 minutes.

First a colour image and, in case nobody finds the comet there, a contrast
enhanced and inverted b/w version.

Stefan