Old April 23rd 19, 05:55 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rocket Man[_2_]

Default SpaceX Dragon 2 capsule destroyed in abort motor ground test

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
Jeff Findley wrote on Mon, 22 Apr 2019
07:05:42 -0400:

Accident Claims SpaceX Dragon Abort Test Capsule
Apr 21, 2019 Irene Klotz - Aerospace Daily & Defense Report
https://aviationweek.com/space/accid...t-test-capsule

This is bad. My guess is at least a year delay for SpaceX commercial
crew. Here is hoping that Boeing gets its act together because we need
something to replace Soyuz for US crew.

I don't know if we know enough to be talking about how much delay this
would inject. The headline makes it sound like the capsule is a dead
loss but I don't think we even know that for sure.

It looked to me that the capsule had dissappeared after the explosion. Not
good. Not good at all.

I agree with OP that this could take a year to fix, not to mention the loss
of goodwill. I can imagine the knifes are being drawn in Congress. I'm sure
this is exactly the thing Boeing / LockMart / ULA have been waiting for.

OTOH it would've been infinitely worse if it had happened during a manned
test flight.