Old December 21st 06, 06:08 PM posted to sci.space.station
George[_1_]

Default A Toxic Leak Haunts the Shuttle Crew

"George R. Kasica" wrote in message
Anyone familiar with the properties of anhydrous ammonia will tell you
that
there is no question about its toxicity.

http://msds.ehs.cornell.edu/msds/msdsdod/a67/m33029.htm

Yes, because like most people, they misuse toxic as the media has for
years.

(Here a clue for you: The disposal methods for toxic materials are
not 'use contaminated materials for fertilizer'.)
Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

Well, I for one am certainly glad that you aren't a first responder. I
can
see your reaction to an anyhdrous ammonia spill along a railline in a
major
city: "It's not toxic because 'they' missuse the word. Just leave it
be."
Meanwhile, as thousands succumb to the fumes...

George

George, as one who happens to be a First Responder and HAZMAT Level-A
trained as well, I can tell you that anhydrous ammonia is nasty stuff.
You definitely DO NOT want to just leave it be. Living in a more rural
area here many of the farmers have large quantities on hand, also a
large commercial food processor is here as well and their
refrigeration is ammonia based. For either of them it's stored in
tanks and we've had a few leaks/spills over the years (in one case a
fork lift at the food processor hit a pipe and cut it - VERY ugly) and
it's always a big deal to clean up the mess and stop the leak ASAP.
More than once we've moved a significant portion of the village out of
the way (total pop. right about 6000 now) depending on the location of
the leak and the winds.

===[George R. Kasica]===

EMT-IV Tech #304005/PHTLS

http://www.netwrx1.com/georgek
ICQ #12862186

So am I. You need to address this to Derek, not me.

George