Old July 5th 17, 03:08 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
Greg Goss

Default Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

David Mitchell wrote:

wrote:

And about the only place where weight matters that much is in things
that fly and in that case useless mass is already gone from the design
without the expense of 3D printing.

Have you ever looked at the interior structures of an aircraft?

3D printing is, and always will be, a niche manufacturing method.

"Nobody needs more than 640K"

I don't really think it's sensible to say "never" wrt technology - you're
judging a very immature technology

The Altair was obsolete in two years. The Apple ][ was obsolete in
five, though genius level reworkings kept it going for what, 12? The
context for that quote was the decision to build a computer with ten
times the memory capacity of the normal business computer out there at
the time, with the expectation that they would totally revamp the
design in a few years. Remember that was the time when Microsoft bet
big on Unix as the next big thing. Nobody expected to be finding ISA
compatible computers running a compatible OS 35 years later.

The biggest problem wrt printing vehicles will, I suspect, be the legislation
governing safety.