Old September 20th 06, 10:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station,sci.space.history
John Doe

Default (Poll) Space Tourism

-- wrote:
That Virgin Galactic crap? Where you don't even get into orbit? Where you
are only weightless for five minutes? I'd pay $50 for that if it were at a
theme park... where it belongs.

I wouldn't call it "crap". It is still an experience worth taking. It is
a thrill ride which I would classify along with bungee jumping or
parachuting or maybe like climbing the sydney harbour bridge. Not
something I would refuse to do.

However, it doesn't even come close to the experience in the Soyuz,
mostly because it lacks all the training, and living in Moscow for a
while, visiting Star City as well as Baikonur, meeting real astronauts,
doing all the pre-requisite exercises, and I assume the wilderness
survival tests (when landing on the Soyuz). Life aboard the soyuz may
not be pleasant in such close quarters, but it is definitely an
experience that you can learn from. May or may not be pleasant, but
definitely an experience. This is a not a thrill ride, it is a life
experience. The 10 days in space are just the icing on the cake when you
really think about it.

You come out of the Soyuz "ride" with skills, knowledge of russian,
experience in living in Russia for a while etc.

You come out of Virgin Galactic with memories of a great roller coaster
ride with just enough time to snap a few pictures.