Old December 17th 04, 06:56 AM
Henry Spencer

Greg D. Moore \(Strider\) wrote:
decided to rent a Russian space reactor to study, since the SP-100 wasn't
working out.
So far, no problem. After thoroughly studying it, it was time to ship it
back. Big problem- can't export nuclear techology to the commies. The fact
that it came *from* them in the first place was irrelevant.

Somehow I find this story a bit suspect, since I'm not sure this would fall
under export laws...

It would. The export regulations cover *anything* going out of the US.
Foreign origin is irrelevant. [Many things about the export regulations
do not make sense. The export people see nothing wrong with irrational
regulations.]

Moreover, this wasn't a case of generic export regulations. There is a
specific law which flatly bans export of a nuclear reactor to any nation
which has not signed a particular peaceful-nuclear-energy treaty; the
USSR hadn't.

I can't vouch for all the details of Scott's version, but the incident
was real; it happened in early 1991.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |