Old February 24th 06, 02:15 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

Default Sun's Hot Surface: Influence of Jupiter on our Sun~~~

"granite stone" wrote in message
oups.com...
| I have re-written the article. Hope you understand it.
|
| Abstract

| It is possible in theory that if the largest planet, Jupiter
gives
| the Sun elongation (bulge), and with the Sun's rotation at 25 days as
| being a high speed, since the Sun's mass is large, the hot surface
| maybe the result of high rotation speed and elongation (bulge).

If I understand you correctly, you hypothesise that the
heating of a the Sun is due to, and only to, gravitation
distortion by Jupiter (and perhaps other planets?).

I think you should prepare an energy analysis to validate
your hypothesis. I've done a very rough one below based on
figures which are very approximate and unchecked.

First you need to know the energy given off by the Sun which
is about 4 x 10^33 ergs per second.

I expect you know that heating of a body due to
gravitational distortion is at the expense of the kinetic
energy of the two (or more) bodies involved. So let's see
how much energy we have to play with:

Rotation energy of the Sun
--------------------------
Sun's moment of inertia is 4 x 10^54 gm cm^2
Sun's rotation is about once in 27 days, or 3 x 10^-6 radians/sec
So energy of rotation of the Sun is about 2 x 10^41 ergs

Orbital energy of Jupiter
Jupiter's mass 2 x 10^30 gm
Jupiter's orbital speed 10^6 cm/sec
So energy of Jupiter's orbital motion = 10^42 ergs

So the energy available is of the order of 10^42 ergs.

So, how many seconds would this keep the Sun going? In the
order of 10^9 seconds, or 30 years.

Well, perhaps I got some calculations or figures wrong.
--
Laury