Old August 23rd 09, 07:15 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark F.[_2_]

Default proxima centauri flares dangerous

No.

"Bernhard Kuemel" wrote in message
Hi!

After my metamorphosis to an electronic human through whole brain
emulation and after our sun fades I thought of going to proxima
centauri, a red dwarf with an estimated main sequence of 4 trillion
years. Proxima centauri is a flare star with explosive flares (due to
magnetism caused by convection) which have x-rays and cause the
brightness of the star to double in minutes.

Do you think it will be feasible to operate solar panels and electronics
close enough to proxima centauri to get useful energy from the infrared
light and still be safe from flares, solar wind, x-rays etc.?

Thanks, Bernhard