Old December 21st 18, 04:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
hleopold

Default Let's Photograph Comet 46P Wirtanen

On Dec 19, 2018, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

Davoud on 18 December:
Tonight's result with details is at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/32503667868.

hleopold:
That is very nice. Is it that green in reality, or as close to reality as we
normally get?

Thank you. Good question! I did not purposely manipulate the color in
Photoshop, but it is possible that it changed slightly in stacking or
in the course of brightness and contrast adjustments (curves tool).
Most of the descriptions I have read describe the coma as being green.
But a photo that I made on 11 December looks more aqua blue than green
to my eyes:https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/31330206277. Take
your pick!

I haven’t had a chance to see it yet, though the weather service
says that
the skies are clear, Clear Sky Chart shows no transparency and lousy seeing.
I am getting really tired of this. (N.E. Kansas)

Good luck with the waxing moon. Full moon on 22 December.

This so much reminds me of that other “Christmas Comet” back 15? years
ago. I finally got to see it, it was stated as being a bright blue. When I
did get to see it it actually was a very nice blue, with a larger scope, and
darker skies I think I might have even called it an electric blue. Of course
this is a much small, and I think, more distant comet so of course color is
going to be much fainter. (Of course I won’t even mention that the eyes are
much older as well. Oh, sorry, I did mention it.)

Always a joy to see your photos, David, I look forward to more in the future.
I mostly read here, hardly ever comment. Not to mention I am jealous of your
set-up, though not of your location, as bad as our seeing is here you have it
worse.

--
Harry F. Leopold
aa #2076