Old August 14th 08, 12:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.sci.seti,alt.sci.planetary,talk.origins
'Rev Dr' Lenny Flank

Default The Fermi Paradox and SETI Success

On Aug 13, 8:12 pm, "K_h" wrote:

On the other hand, intelligent
life should exist on a substantial fraction of planets with life because
natural selection broadly increases intelligence with time.

I quite disagree witht his part. Indeed, I think "intelligence",
particularly in the form of the "technological intelligence" required
for SETI, is an abject evolutionary failure. In our short tenure as a
species, and even in our microscopic-timed tenure as a technological
species, we've managed to produce the largest mass extinction since
the Cretaceous, and have put not only our own survival as a species at
risk, but the very existence of nearly the entire biosphere within
which we live.

It seems pretty logical to me that there should be NO other
technological intelligent species in the universe at the current time,
because they all kill themselves off (probably taking much of their
planet's life with them) before anyone else even knows they are there.
"Intelligence" is an evolutionary path to quick suicide. A dead end.
Literally.

Lenny Flank

Editor, Red and Black Publishers
http://www.RedAndBlackPublishers.com