Old October 16th 18, 11:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!

In article ,
says...

On 2018-10-14 10:12, Jeff Findley wrote:

The thing that I find most troubling though is that even when commercial
crew is flying, NASA will still fly astronauts on Soyuz in exchange for
flying Russian cosmonauts on commercial crew. If I had to pick between
the two, I would not choose to fly on Soyuz.

I didn't know that. The only positive I can find for this is to keep
Soyuz alive and keep relationship alive so Soyuz can be used if needed.

If Dragon and CST are limited to 3 by NASA, and russians only send 2
crews up, Americans could send 1 up with them and have 4 US crewmembers
on station.

If Dragon can hold 7 to ISS, then it makes it easy to sell seats to
Russians.

It also depends on how long the commercial crew stay at ISS relative to
Soyuz. It may become convenient from a schedule point of view to send
am american on a Souyz because the next crewed flight is 4 months later.

(and similarly, as espace pod rotation go, the flight schedules of Syouz
vs crewed may be such that Soyuz is more convenient.

But it does seem rather odd to develop 2 US crewed vehicles to be
redundant but still rely on russians.

Are both Dragon2 and CST limited to the one PMA2 port which means that
they can't have 2 docked at same time ? If so, the multiple Soyuz ports
provided added flexibility.

You might want to read up on commercial crew. Start with the basics
like how many crew NASA is planning on flying inside them on each
flight.

Jeff