Old November 6th 09, 06:23 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
dlzc

Default Dark Horse Challenges Dark Matter to Explain Missing Matter

Dear Yousuf Khan:

On Nov 6, 1:18*am, Yousuf Khan wrote:
MOND ...
Dark Matter ...
/Dark Fields/ ...

Maybe you have lost sight of the big picture.
MOND uses the visible matter and its "geometry" to make rotation
curves work, but it does not cover microlensing.

Dark Matter suspends any other scientific theory-set, for a substance
that can be arbitrarily located to make measurements work, a substance
that only "hooks" into this Universe as mass... no other properties.
There are a host of proposed particles that are being searched for
that are close to Dark Matter, but they will have some 'spainin to do
as to how we see what we see in the Universe displayed.

Dark Fluid has *no* properties that are substantially improved over
Dark Matter. It *must* substantially decay into the definition of
Dark Matter in the final analysis. It can have no properties
associated with a fluid (say viscosity, or pressure), or it violates
what we see.

You are sniffing up any skirt that seems to offer an alternative to
Dark Matter. And I am telling you, Dark Fluid ain't it.

Now what I'd like to propose is, if inertia derives from all the mass
in the Universe (ala Mach), and the speed of *this* effect
(establishment of inertia) is large-but-finite, what if Dark Matter is
simply "echos" of an effect of the event horizons (say) that spent
time in any given bit of space? Expansion also looks like everything
shrinking in place (due to increasing clock rates). I mean if we are
sky-balling...

David A. Smith