Old February 23rd 07, 09:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC1275 & Friends

See http://www.noao.edu/outreach/aop/observers/n1275.html (I wish I had
Kitt Peak seeing!) that shows little red in it compared to the others.
Much of mine is due to that frost problem. For some reason it scatters
more red across the whole image than green and blue. This was taken
with some in the red channel. I'd heated the camera with a blow dryer
and gotten rid of it for the others but took red last and it was
refrosting again. So I don't trust the color. I have heaters on the
way to fix the problem that go around the chip's sealed chamber. Very
early cameras had none, later 2 and now they use 3. Mine is a "none"
version hence the problem.

I also found another source of red light. A cap that was painted black
lost its paint and let a small amount of red light into the camera.
(Paint was on the outside so didn't go into the system -- whew) I use 3
of 4 ports on my system. The 4th is blocked by that plug that came with
it. It is a slightly translucent red without the paint. That likely is
the source of the red light the frost sees. I've got it plugged
differently now so should help while waiting the arrival of the heaters.
By the time they get here the temps will have warmed to where it
probably won't be a problem until next winter.

The learning curve keeps on going up.

Rick

J McBride wrote:
maybe it has a huge redshift and thus reds are stronger.

Joe

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

J McBride wrote:

I took this over a year ago with a 14" SCT working @ f/5.5 with a ST9XE.
(20,4,4,4). Hey Rick...I would like to see your image in color. I

think

that there might be some reds in N1275. My image is too small and under
sampled to show this well.

Joe

I wasn't very happy with the color version. Stars had no color to speak
of nor the galaxies. Rather like your shot. Color was hit hard by the
clouds with very unequal exposure time for each. I tried to balance out
the result. For some reason when red is short it dominates. I don't
understand that. Not sure if all that red I have is legit. Here it is
anyway.

14" LX200R@f/10, L=6x5' R=2x5' G=3x5' B=2x7' all binned 2x2,
STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

----