Old February 15th 12, 08:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

Default NASA considers outpost beyond moon's far side

On Feb 15, 7:01*am, David Spain wrote:
wrote:
"NASA is pressing forward on assessing the value of a "human-tended
waypoint" near the far side of the moon — one that would embrace
international partnerships as well as commercial and academic
participation,
Space.com has learned.

I would settle for an "autonomous waypoint" at L2 to serve as a lunar
'dark-side' comms relay to sats at L4 or L5.

To wit, it would not be a bad idea to launch twin L4 & L5 "environmental"
explorer sats just to make sure we can check our assumptions about these areas.

Isn't there is a chance of elevated micro-asteroid debris within these areas
because of their inherit gravitational stability?

Dave

According to all things NASA/Apollo, the environment around our naked
moon is passive and inert, with less chance of encountering any bits
of meteors than here on Earth. Apparently whatever gravity or wide
open exposure to whatever is passing through is a non-issue. It's
even cold on the sunny side while coasting between the moon and Earth,
because A-13 damn near froze to death.

http://translate.google.com/#