Old February 15th 12, 03:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default NASA considers outpost beyond moon's far side

wrote:
"NASA is pressing forward on assessing the value of a "human-tended
waypoint" near the far side of the moon — one that would embrace
international partnerships as well as commercial and academic
participation,
Space.com has learned.

I would settle for an "autonomous waypoint" at L2 to serve as a lunar
'dark-side' comms relay to sats at L4 or L5.

To wit, it would not be a bad idea to launch twin L4 & L5 "environmental"
explorer sats just to make sure we can check our assumptions about these areas.

Isn't there is a chance of elevated micro-asteroid debris within these areas
because of their inherit gravitational stability?

Dave