Old February 11th 17, 12:49 PM posted to sci.space.history
richard

Default Debbie Reynolds and Space History

Jeff Findley wrote:

In article ,
says...
You are free to believe anything you wish. But that doesn't mean
its true nor do the rest of us have to agree. What you are
suggesting is similar to chaos theory: A butterfly flapping it's
wings in Florida will trigger a tropical storm off the coast of
Africa.

Agreed. But even if we accept that theory as true, what people miss
about "the butterfly effect" is that every other variable has to be
exactly correct in order for the butterfly to matter in the first place.
Instead, people like to point to it as an example of "one person can
make a difference" and they use it as a motivational talking point. The
butterfly effect is a great little story if you're trying to motivate
people.

But, in the real world, Debbie Reynolds really had nothing to do with
the space program. The credit goes to the politicians who funded it
"blank check" style in the early 1960's and to the thousands of people
that actually worked on the program and were paid from that huge pool of
money.

Jeff

As far as Stuf4 post I think he deserves an honorary Dirk Gently Detective
badge for his original supposition.
As far a casually dismissing the "the butterfly effect" or "one person can
make a difference" (which are actually two very different theories) the
relationship between the actress who played 7 of 9 on ST:Voyager modesty and
the Affordable Care Act is a good example of both theories.