Old July 29th 04, 10:51 PM
Rodney Kelp

Default Could this be a model for the United States?

You could build a vertical maglev rail a mile high and sling objects into
space without large bulkie fuel tanks. You could also send up just fuel
tanks to dock with for manuvering or use quantum nucleonic reactors for
manuvering. You might need a couple of nuclear power plants to power the
maglev but we've done more stupid things in the past.

"vthokie" wrote in message
om...
The United States is going to need a heavy lift launch vehicle if we
are going to undertake ambitious manned missions to the moon and
beyond. I have long believed, as many do, that we should commit to
developing a launch system that is fully reusable and will lower both
the cost and risk associated with spaceflight. To me, putting an
Apollo-style capsule on top of a Delta IV or Atlas V doesn't seem like
much of a vision for the future.

I just came across this, and it is exactly the type of launch system I
would love to see the United States develop. What are your opinions
on the merits (and drawbacks) of such a design?

http://www.k26.com/buran/Info/Energi...k_booster.html

---