Old April 16th 09, 03:15 AM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Space Policy: Why Mars should be our top priority.

"Jorge R. Frank" writes:

David Spain wrote:
If I can get the public to go along with the taxation necessary to support a
manned
space program, why not divert some of that $$$ to the military?

Because there is no military mission for man-in-space that justifies the
cost. That is why every military manned program in the past (Dyna-Soar, MOL,
DoD shuttle) has wound up being cancelled. It was true then and it is true
today.

Jorge,

It was not my intension to imply that diverted $$$ would go for "manned"
military missions. Just for military use period. That could be ICBMs,
spysats, anti-sat weapons, next generation missile rocketry, etc.

If I led anyone to believe otherwise, that was not my intention.

Dave