Old August 24th 03, 10:39 AM
OM

Default NASA artist illustrations and cutaways of Saturn vehicles

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:51:08 GMT, (Henry Spencer)

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote:
Cutaway of Saturn I S-IV Stage
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-9801758.html

..."Blowout Panels (8)"?? Were these part of the actual design in the
end?

Hmm, interesting question. That suggests that they planned "fire in the
hole" staging for the Saturn I -- ignition before separation. But
technical details on the Saturn I are a bit hard to find, and I don't
know offhand just how its staging was done.

....From the footage I've seen of Saturn 1 staging, it appears to have
been the same as with the 1B. However, that's from the outside, and
I've yet to see camera footage of the S-IV igniting and shooting away
from the inside of the interstage. IIRC, *you* told me years ago it
existed :-)

....Still, the "fire in the hole" method may have been intended at the
start. What resources are out there that deal with "Cluster's Last
Stand" that go into detail?

http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0100805.html

...Interesting how they illustrate the interstage skirt as part of the
S-IVB and not the IB first stage.

That was standard for the Saturns -- the interstages were built as part of
the stage above, not the stage below, although they mostly remained with
the stage below after separation.

....Or separated shortly after from the stage above, as we tend to get
reminded from that footage ad nauseum :-)

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr