Old October 2nd 05, 09:31 AM
Andrew Bunting

Allen Thomson wrote:
Oops. Make that "nope." I was reading lbs as kgs. Mea culpa.

The LRALT uses two MM II second stages, not one 1st and one 2nd stage.

BTW, the document says in Figure 2-3 that the C-17 is a "Military cargo
aircraft with capability to extract 42,000 lb."

The document is a little ambiguous. The illustration is of
a C-17 but the requirements are generic.

A C-130H can drop 42k lbs inflight ( 38k for low delivery ) so
that's the upper limit for SRALT.

A C-17 can drop 60k lbs in a single load or 110k lbs divided.
I suppose the single-load limit is due to the moment arm of the
load on the ramp.

--
Andrew Bunting