Old March 22nd 04, 07:43 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

Default Systems reliability

In message , Derek Lyons
writes
"Brian Gaff" wrote:
On the Iss we continually hear of leaking gas, failed batteries and
controllers, The Electron unit,laptops, and sundry other minor items.

Frankly, I suspect that's simply a fact of life. I wonder if we'd be
better off planning the logistics of a Mars mission around repairable
equipment and semi-consumables rather than attempting to make every
damm thing 110% reliables. There's going to be a weight and crew time
usage hit, but what will the cost differential be?

But surely they plan to take duct tape and spare laptops and things you
can fix - and redundant engines in the same way as the Cassini probe?
Isn't the reason for making things 99.99999% reliable that there are so
many systems something is still going to break? If you're really unlucky
it's something you can't fix because the nearest supply is 100 million
km away, or Mars orbit insertion is two minutes away.
--
Save the Hubble Space Telescope!