Old March 22nd 04, 03:21 AM
Derek Lyons

Default Systems reliability

"Brian Gaff" wrote:
On the Iss we continually hear of leaking gas, failed batteries and
controllers, The Electron unit,laptops, and sundry other minor items.

Frankly, I suspect that's simply a fact of life. I wonder if we'd be
better off planning the logistics of a Mars mission around repairable
equipment and semi-consumables rather than attempting to make every
damm thing 110% reliables. There's going to be a weight and crew time
usage hit, but what will the cost differential be?

Frankly IMO, long term space mission planning should be like planning
a military campaign. Small minds talk tactics, or technology.
Mediocre minds talk strategy, or engineering. Great minds talk
logistics. All too often the 'sexy' engineering or 'l33t' technology
is considered more important than the dull-but-vital matter of
logistics planning.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.