Old October 12th 11, 02:44 AM posted to sci.space.tech
byblow

Default Suggestions needed: Condensing steam in space

I need something that’s completely automated and can extract 100
tonnes of water per day from steam (does 100 tonnes of steam = 100
tonnes of water?).

This condenser, heat exchanger or whatever has to function realiably
despite lots of dissolved solids in the steam, so it has to be highly
resistant to fouling.

It also has to be as compact as possible, weigh as little as possible,
and use as little electricity as possible.

My goal is to extract 4,800-6,000 tonnes of water from steam in 90
days or less. After that, I don't care if the condenser is a total
loss.

I've read that condensers at power plants typically use a vacuum or
partial vacuum to suck in steam, and also to expand it for more
efficient cooling. Could the natural vacuum of space be used for these
purposes?

I appreciate any help I can get!

Note, not really on-topic, but intriuging and I want to see where this develops.