Old July 17th 03, 01:21 AM
Rod Mollise

Default Meade 6" LXD 55 f/8 Refractor

I am considering buying the Meade 6" LXD 55 refractor. Anybody tried it
yet?What do you think? Pros? Cons? Comparisons to the ED? I'm looking at
this one because I've always been a refractor fan, but never able to afford
a big one. Now that I finally can, this is starting to look like a dream
come true.

Feedback please.

Hi Chris:

Based on what I've seen, you'll be very lucky if the mount works correctly out
of the box. Most people (though not all) have had to do considerable
tuning/tinkering to get the mount working right. You might want to look on the
new Celestron "Advanced Series" scope. It's very similar, but based on the
CG5/EQ4 which, in my opinion, is better at this point.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html