Old September 3rd 08, 02:49 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Alan Erskine[_2_]

Default Shuttle program extension?

wrote in message

I agree with the Aries I launcher(although I think continuing
development of the J-2X powered second is a good idea), it would
really save them a lot of money if they just simply man-rated both the
Delta IV and the Atlas V (just like they did in the 60's with the
Atlas and Titan II launchers). Also man-rating the two EELVs would
have an additional benefit of reducing insurance premiums for
satellite makers as a man-rated booster would be more reliable.

The Delta IV is already more 'man-rated' than any version of the Ares 1 is
likely to be - lower vibration, smoother ride, proven reliability.