Old November 9th 06, 11:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_1_]

Default Mercury Transit

Mij Adyaw wrote:
I am sure that you have compared the Solarmax 40 to the PST. What are the
differences? Do you believe that the differences are worth the cost of the
Solarmax 40?

The PST's prominence detail is just about as good as the SM 40--maybe
not quite as good, but darned close. Where the PST is not as good is
with disc detail. There is detail that can barely be seen with the
SM 40 that cannot be seen in the PST, while the barely glimpsed detail
in the PST is seen easier through the SM 40.

That being said, I would not get the SM 40 as a *replacement* for the
PST; the reason I would get it at all would be to "double stack" it on
the PST. For a replacement, I'd upgrade to the SM 60 at the least.

--
Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html