Old November 9th 06, 04:15 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Banister[_1_]

Default Mercury Transit

Brian, what size scope were you using? I was using a C90 Mak with a Baader
film filter. I chose that over my 10" newt because the Baader web site
indicated that a smaller aperture would be better. While I was satisifed
with my views, I would have liked to push the mag above 200X to view some of
the sun spots in detail. The little Mak wasn't much good beyond 133X today.

-John

"Brian Tung" wrote in message
John Banister wrote:
From Northeast Texas I had first contact at 13:12:51 CST (19:12:51 GMT)
and
second contact at 13:13:54 (19:13:54 GMT). I evidently will be unable to
see 3d and 4th contacts. Should I send this data anywhere?

BTW, slow, but neat.

Funny. I found it faster than I had expected. I showed it to someone
while it was still in the chromosphere, and by the time I got back the
comm, Mercury was already fully in the photosphere.

--
Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html