Old March 22nd 12, 09:18 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Robert Clark

Default NASA Seeks Space Launch System Advanced Development Solutions

On Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:52:36 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
On Mar 21, 12:11*am, (Harold Groot) wrote:
On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:24:37 +1100, Alan Erskine
wrote:

What's a "metric ton" as mentioned in this article?

A metric ton is 1000 kilograms. *It equals 2205 pounds.

This is not the same as the English ton (aka long ton), which is 2240
pounds. And of course, it is not the same as the American/Canadian ton
(aka short ton) of 2000 pounds.

The "metric ton" is also sometimes called the "tonne". But I'm
surprised that it never seems to be called what it is: a megagram.
People seeing _that_ name would immediately know the value of the
unit.

John Savard

It is sometimes called a megagram (Mg) in some technical reports. I actually prefer the term "metric ton" (mT) though.

Bob Clark