Old March 22nd 19, 10:24 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SpaceX Destroys Tooling

In article ,
says...

I've seen from several sources that SpaceX has apparently junked all
their fabrication tools for composite structures (at a cost of tens of
millions of dollars). Apparently betting the ranch on the new steel
construction plan with no future path to switch to composites.

Yes. The pictures show that the "tent" is gone and the giant metal
mandrel is broken up into little pieces (i.e. scrap).

There was some whining online about "why didn't they save that tooling
in case the stainless steel didn't work out". Um, because they've done
the analysis and testing on the hexagonal tiles needed for the new
design and they passed the tests.

Not sure why some people think something useless like this is actually
valuable somehow. SpaceX would have to keep renting the land, the
"tent", and keep the thing environmentally controlled to preserve this
tooling. That's money spent for no good purpose.

Jeff