Old December 4th 18, 02:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Lat/Long and timekeeping system for Mars

"The first motion, named nuchthemeron by the Greeks, as I said (I, 4), is the rotation which is the characteristic of a day plus a night." Copernicus, De Revolutionibus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nychthemeron

Unknown to Copernicus is a separate day/night cycle processed by the North/South Polar latitudes where sunrise/sunset happens on the Equinoxes and midnight/noon of the Solstices. He does refer to this in De Revolutionibus but as he uses the Ptolemaic framework of the motion of the Sun through the Zodiac instead of the transition of stars from left to right of the Sun, the explanation of Copernicus becomes garbled and flawed.

Mars also will have two distinct surface rotations which will also surface as natural noon variations. The equalisation of a unique Martian 24 hour day along with equal hours,minutes and seconds must fit with a Lat/Long system where one Martian hour equates not only to 15 degrees of geographical separation but also a rotation rate of 15 degrees of rotation per Martian hour..

The mongrel system of applying Earth timekeeping to Mars is counter-productive and nothing like what is being sought in this thread.