Old June 25th 18, 12:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Bacteria in spaeships

In article ,
says...

Le 24/06/2018 à 16:41, Jeff Findley a écrit*:
In article ,

says...

NASA got a bad day some weeks ago.

A microbiologist discovered that Acetinobacter can eat the desinfectant
that NASA sprays in their clean rooms...

A soil bacteria.

Now, NASA is selecting the hardest microbes to send to space... All
other normal microbes are dead, and Actetinobacter has no competition.

Arrived to destination (say Mars) Acetinobacter could be devasting for a
local biota. Since it is extremely resistant, it could spread unchecked.

There is zero proof that Mars has actual living "local biota".

What?

NASA has disclosed the presence of organics in Mars. Furthermore the
methane cycle has seasonal variations and points to local biota that is
breathing.

None of this is conclusive evidence. So called "organic" molecules can
be, and are, formed by processes not involving life.

Apparently, mars organics ad life look similar to earth's life. A
microbiologist published comparisons between fossil looking formations
in Mars and earthly, older microbial formations that look VERY similar
to those mars "rocks"...

All this evidence points to life in Mars.

Not at all conclusively. And even if we accept that these are fossils
from millions of years ago (again, there isn't conclusive evidence of
this), that does *not* mean that life still exists on Mars in its
current state of an atmosphere that's nearly vacuum.

Furthermore, I am unaware of any earth microbes which would

"thrive" in
the extremely thin atmosphere and radiation environment of Mars.

NASA selects those bacteria by killing all others and leaving them a
space where they find no competition for nutrients and space. All other
bacteria are dead.

Is it a good idea to desinfect spaceships?

If you want the crew on the inside to stay healthy, yes.

There is zero proof that a Mars-able ship is doable with today's
technology. No prototypes have been ever constructed, and Americans
aren't able to return to the moon any more.

Bull****. Crewed Mars ships are quite possible. There is no bit of
technology we don't have to land a crew on Mars. It's just that we have
not built one yet due to the high cost and the unwillingness of
politicians to pay for the program. I can't blame them considering
NASA's string of financial and/or programmatic failures post-Apollo.

Hopefully SpaceX will change that in the next 10 years or so because
NASA sure as heck isn't going to be able to afford it with SLS/Orion
sucking up several billions of dollars each and every year with nothing
to show for it so far.

Jeff