Old June 26th 15, 10:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default Unfortunate Typographical Error in Science News Story

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 2:13:27 PM UTC-6, Davoud wrote:
Quadibloc:

Unfortunately, they referred to the length of the day as "Earth's daily
rotation period", which will only serve to prolong the confusion exemplified by a
participant in this newsgroup.

I don't think that referring to the length of the day as 24 hours is a
grave or important error.

I quite agree. The length of the day _is_ 24 hours... because, as you say:

It is, after all, the statutory length of the
day in civil time, which is the standard I use to set my wris****ch and
the standard that my favorite airline uses. The average resident of
planet Earth has a very good knowledge of the length of the day that
serves for all practical purposes.

But it was referred to as the "Earth's daily rotation period", and the Earth
does not have a rotational motion with that period. That's why I felt it was
giving aid and comfort to this fellow.

What is mystifying to me is your obsession with whoever it is in this
group you disagree with. You have spent years taking that person's bait
and trying to set that person straight, all to no avail. How do you
know that that person believes what he says, and is not just playing
you for a slavering dog?

Oh, I suppose he may be a troll, although he certainly seems to be a genuine
eccentric.

I think that _some_ of the time, though, past debates with him have clarified
important but little-known facts about astronomy. Of late, I have been replying
to him rather less often, though.

John Savard