Old June 12th 09, 06:07 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

Default Japanese Moon probe to impact tomorrow

"KAGUYA"(SELENE), the big flop and nothing Apollo

"KAGUYA"(SELENE) encounters our physically dark and extremely dusty
moon at an angle of just 1 degree, and there’s no bounce, skip or
hardly if any gouge, perhaps because the surface of this impact site
was simply way too soft, as in tens of meters deep kind of crystal dry
and electrostatic charged carbonado and basalt dust that’s saturated
in all kinds of local minerals (including sodium) plus countless
meteorite deposits.

Lots of terrific private astronomy equipment had to be pointed at the
carefully specified impact site with more than enough resolution and
terrific dynamic range, not to mention the ten fold better stuff at
the disposal of NASA, or the ten fold better yet from team KECK, or
for that matter the greatly improved resolution, dynamic range and
wide spectrum capability from Hubble. Of course at least the HDTV and
its full color spectrum via KAGUYA should have functioned up to a
fraction of a second or a frame or two prior to impact.

Thus far we’ve got zip/nada/zilch to look at. Way to go JASA, NASA
and other guys.

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth BG / “Guth Usenet”