Old July 5th 04, 02:12 PM
Mike Flugennock

In article , "Terrell Miller"
wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Let's see... some day we'll take them up on the Grand Idea and change
the Anthem to "America The Beautiful" with a few politically necessary
changes... It'll start:
"America, America, something may have shed its grace on thee..."

nah, "shed its grace on..." is imperialistic double-speak and perpetuates
the (supposed) supremacy of white males. Use of the word "grace" is
demeaning to the differently-abled who (through no fault of their own)
cannot help but be less graceful than their traditionally-abled peers. And
using the word "beautiful" in the title is demeaning to women who reject the
sexist stereotypes of physical attractiveness.

"America, America, we share our diversity with thee..."

Actually, I always like George Carlin's version: "O Beautiful, for smoggy
skies, insecticided grain..."

--
"All over, people changing their votes,
along with their overcoats;